Posted on 12 June 2015
Today's Challenge will test your skills of visualization and sequential reasoning:
From infrared to ultraviolet, it’s difficult to write without light. To reach the goal, convert the seen into the unseen.
The order of the colors does not matter. You can sort the colors in the order indicated, from infrared to ultraviolet, but that's an optional step.
The + and - numbers suggest a certain kind of cipher.
There are a number of steps and a couple of paths to getting to the solution.
1. Start with the colors given in the image (R = red, O = orange, Y = yellow, G = green, B = blue, V = violet; there's no indigo):
OYGB ROB RB YOBG BRO YRB BORY GYRB RO OG BOYR GRB OYG GR BOR R GOYR BYGO BR ROBY RYB YGRB RB OBVG RBY YORB BGR GOY BYOG BOR GO ROYB OGBY VYGBR ROG OG OVYR BR BGYO RBO YORB RBY VYR GROB ROB GOR YBR RBYO BYGO RVGBY
2. Sort the colors in each group from infrared to ultraviolet (optional):
OYGB ROB RB OYGB ROB RYB ROYB RYGB RO OG ROYB RGB OYG RG ROB R ROYG OYGB RB ROYB RYB RYGB RB OGBV RYB ROYB RGB OYG OYGB ROB OG ROYB OYGB RYGBV ROG OG ROYV RB OYGB ROB ROYB RYB RYV ROGB ROB ROG RYB ROYB OYGB RYGBV
- This step simply makes the following one a bit easier.
3. Convert each group of colors to a unique letter. For example, replace all the combinations of OYGB (in any order) with "A", all the ROB's with "B", etc.
This is a substitution cipher that can be solved by replacing the letters (A=T, B=H, C=E to get the first word "THE", etc.) or using a Cipher Solver such as QuipQiup (← click this link). This results in:
- THE THORN BIRDS CHAPTER ONE WORDS THIRTY FIVE THROUGH FORTY
4. Looking up the named book, The Thornbirds, and reading the 35th through 40th words, gives us:
- SQUATTED DOWN BEHIND THE GORSE BUSH
SCIENTIF ICNA MESTLL AHA PPYAN IMAL
6. The second part of that is a short URL link, namely stl.la/happyanimal . This redirects to a YouTube video Quokka The Happiest Animal in the World . From the first part, we need the scientific name of the Quokka, which is Setonix Brachyurus. The solution is stl.la/setonixbrachyurus .
The page in Fallen Angel